Monday, January 18, 2010

Interesting weekend....

First of all, I'd like to give a big shout-out to my wonderful in-laws who came to stay with us for a couple of days! It was great to have them here...and it was good timing, too.

Why, you ask? Because I had an allergic reaction to something on Friday night and had to make a trip to the ER to get checked out. It was comforting to know that, while I was swelling and itching and looking more like the Elephant Man by the minute, the grandparents were here to keep the kids calm and get them settled down for the night.

As it turns out, they take allergic reactions pretty seriously at the hospital, especially when your face is swelling. My airway remained clear (thank you, Lord), so all that was needed was several IV medications, including high-powered antihistamines and such, and observation to make sure the reaction didn't continue to worsen. I was released at about 2 a.m. with several prescriptions for steroids and antihistamines to be taken for a few days.

Anyway, I seem to be relatively normal again (debatable, to those who know me). It's still a bit of a mystery what I was allergic to, but it's possible that Annie will have to find a new dog shampoo. Before you ask, I did NOT use the shampoo on myself! In fact, I wasn't even the one who bathed the dog, though I did pet the wet dog and clean up the messy bathroom afterward.

Enough about me...what's going on in your life? I'd love to read some comments, and seriously, don't you have something better than my Elephant Man story to share?

Later Days!

P.S. Sorry, no photos of me :).


Anonymous said...

Know u would have looked lovely even if you were swollen. So glad u r improved .Love from one of your favorite fans.pop

all4memories said...

I think we need pictures, you know, so we can scrap every moment!! LOL

I had no idea about this, so I'm so glad to know that you are doing better, and I'm glad you had some of the g.'s there to help out.

We love y'all and think of you often. Please be careful. Did they tell you to write down things you eat or anything like that so as to try to "track" what you may be allergic to?

Kelly said...

The dog shampoo has been thrown was the primary suspect. I can't think of any other substances that I'm not accustomed to. At least I have some high-powered antihistamines on hand in case this happens again!

Thanks, Pop...I had/have the face only a parent could love :).

Anonymous said...

I am also thankful you are better and so thankful N+S were there to help keep a calm (?) household during the "swell" time (I'm sorry for the lousy pun). Take care and hope to see you all soon. Love, Mimi.

Jan and Miekie said...

I also keep antihistamines on hand. Jan once had a hairy worm on his sweatshirt - he flicked if off with the nail of his finger and we went for a walk in the moonlight... but he soon started scratching and it wasn't a romantic evening at all. I gave him some antihistamine, but we went to the hospital anyway, because he looked really bad. The doctor gave him another shot and warned him over and over not to drink...! We were at a weekend resort and I suppose drinking too much is what many people do there!
My sister in law often landed in hospital with swollen face, tongue etc. Very serious. They used to think that she had suddenly turned allergic to bananas, peanuts and heaven knows what - only later did it turn out she was allergic to asprin, or paracetomol - I can't remember which - but it was a very common mild painkiller she had been using on and off for years. You didn't perhaps take some painkiller?